This is a very popular choice among students that want to study in Australia. It can be tricky when you don’t know what to apply for, so it is best that you follow through what you need to do when you apply for a student visa and have members of your family join you.

The members of your family are eligible for this when they accompany you in going to Australia under the condition that you have them included in the visa when you applied for it. Migration Australia can provide you with expert advice on Family Migration process. They can also join you when you are already in Australia even if you already have your visa but this is being a subsequent entrant. This is only possible when you have declared your family members in the visa application.

The best thing that you should do is to declare all your family members in your visa application if they do not plan on going with you or joining you in Australia. Your family members won’t be eligible for the student visa if you do not declare them. They can’t even go with you or join you when you go to Australia.

If you did not include them in your visa application and at a later date they decide to join with you, you have to apply for a new visa of the same type. In that new application, you have to declare all your family members and explain in your application the reason why they were not included in your primary application of the student visa. There are exceptions to this: they just became a member of your family after you had your visa granted and you already made a subsequent application.

Required Documents

If family members are planning to join you under the subsequent entrant, they have to send the following documents online:

  • Document of financial capacity – it can either be annual income at a minimum of AU$70,00 or proof of the funds that cover the 12 months tuition fee, living cost and travel cost for both you and the family member that will join. It should also include the costs you go to school.
  • Copy of the passport’s main page
  • Evidence of the provider of education that you will be studying at
  • Identification documents like the Hoko book, passport, national ID card or certified true copy of the birth certificate
  • Proof of the relationship of every family member, like a marriage certificate or birth certificate